SimpleFOCShield v2.0.4 questions

more newbie content:
i have the SimpleFOCshield V2.0.4, as-is, installed on an arduino uno R3
i am using the small sparkfun gimbal motor (ROB-20441) and an AMT103-V encoder, with dip switches set for 512

a few newbie questions:
in some coding examples, i see the BLDCDriver3PWM pins set to 9,5,6,8, and in others 9,10,11,8…
i get no movement with 9,10,11,8… did something change over time?

the encoder_example utility seems to work fine
the find_pole_pairs_number utility seems to work fine–it returns 8, which matches the motor spec
running open-loop velocity/position seem to work ok

then i run into trouble:
running the velocity_control and the angle_control examples seems problematic. the motor jerks around a bit during alignment, then seems to either oscillate, rotate erratically, or do nothing after setting a target angle.

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi!

Would you mind sharing your code, so we can see if there are any problems we can spot?

the SimpleFOCShield supports different pins, depending on the way you configure the solder jumpers on the back… see our documentation for different examples. Make sure your software pin settings match. the solder jumper settings you made on the board, and you’re good to go. :slight_smile:

Is that 512 PPR or CPR? The setting to pass to the encoder is the PPR value.

If you print the sensor angle, does it return ±6.28 (radians) when you turn the motor through a full turn by hand?

First, and I wish I would have included this in my original post, I think this community and the support from everyone is extremely helpful and is really appreciated!

I did some more reading after posting, and I saw a posting about the solder pad configuration:

and it looks to me (see attached image)

like the board i received is configured as suggested, so i understand the BLDCDriver3PWM pins set to (9,5,6,8)… i hope i’m understanding that correctly

i reset the DIP settings in the AMT103_V to (0,0,0,0) which corresponds to 2048 PPR and re-ran the SimpleFOC library example codes.
the encoder_example works fine and shows positions ±6.28 with a full turn in each direction
the open_loop_velocity_example appears to run correctly
the open_loop_position_example appears to run correctly
the torque example current_control gets me a “too big to load” error for my arduino R3
the torque example voltage_control appears to partially work, but seems unstable with motor vibrations and reversals of direction

my code for the closed-loop example for angle_control is included below. when i run it, the motor starts turning on its own, if i set a target angle it will settle into a large and rough oscillation around that value, and sometimes that mode then breaks out into a constant rotation, so it appears that it’s trying to work, but has an instability…

i measured the resistance between the three phase leads and got 10.7, 9.9, and 9.2 ohms… i seem to recall those should all be equal???

thanks for the help!

/**

• Position/angle motion control example
  • Steps:
    1. Configure the motor and encoder
    1. Run the code
    1. Set the target angle (in radians) from serial terminal
  • NOTE :
  • Arduino UNO example code for running velocity motion control using an encoder with index significantly

• Since Arduino UNO doesn’t have enough interrupt pins we have to use software interrupt library PciManager.

• If running this code with Nucleo or Bluepill or any other board which has more than 2 interrupt pins

• you can supply doIndex directly to the encoder.enableInterrupts(doA,doB,doIndex) and avoid using PciManger

• If you don’t want to use index pin initialize the encoder class without index pin number:

• For example:

• Encoder encoder = Encoder(2, 3, 8192);
  • and initialize interrupts like this:

• encoder.enableInterrupts(doA,doB)
  • Check the docs.simplefoc.com for more info about the possible encoder configuration.

*/
#include <SimpleFOC.h>

// BLDC motor & driver instance
BLDCMotor motor = BLDCMotor(8);
BLDCDriver3PWM driver = BLDCDriver3PWM(9, 5, 6, 8);
// Stepper motor & driver instance
//StepperMotor motor = StepperMotor(50);
//StepperDriver4PWM driver = StepperDriver4PWM(9, 5, 10, 6, 8);

// encoder instance
Encoder encoder = Encoder(2, 3, 2048);

// Interrupt routine intialisation
// channel A and B callbacks
void doA(){encoder.handleA();}
void doB(){encoder.handleB();}

// angle set point variable
float target_angle = 0;
// instantiate the commander
Commander command = Commander(Serial);
void doTarget(char* cmd) { command.scalar(&target_angle, cmd); }

void setup() {

// initialize encoder sensor hardware
encoder.init();
encoder.enableInterrupts(doA, doB);
// link the motor to the sensor
motor.linkSensor(&encoder);

// driver config
// power supply voltage [V]
driver.voltage_power_supply = 7.4;
driver.init();
// link the motor and the driver
motor.linkDriver(&driver);

// aligning voltage [V]
motor.voltage_sensor_align = 3;

// set motion control loop to be used
motor.controller = MotionControlType::angle;

// contoller configuration
// default parameters in defaults.h

// velocity PI controller parameters
motor.PID_velocity.P = 0.2f;
motor.PID_velocity.I = 20;
motor.PID_velocity.D = 0;
// default voltage_power_supply
motor.voltage_limit = 6;
// jerk control using voltage voltage ramp
// default value is 300 volts per sec ~ 0.3V per millisecond
motor.PID_velocity.output_ramp = 1000;

// velocity low pass filtering time constant
motor.LPF_velocity.Tf = 0.01f;

// angle P controller
motor.P_angle.P = 20;
// maximal velocity of the position control
motor.velocity_limit = 4;

// use monitoring with serial
Serial.begin(115200);
// comment out if not needed
motor.useMonitoring(Serial);

// initialize motor
motor.init();
// align encoder and start FOC
motor.initFOC();

// add target command T
command.add(‘T’, doTarget, “target angle”);

Serial.println(F(“Motor ready.”));
Serial.println(F(“Set the target angle using serial terminal:”));
_delay(1000);
}

void loop() {
// main FOC algorithm function
// the faster you run this function the better
// Arduino UNO loop ~1kHz
// Bluepill loop ~10kHz
motor.loopFOC();

// Motion control function
// velocity, position or voltage (defined in motor.controller)
// this function can be run at much lower frequency than loopFOC() function
// You can also use motor.move() and set the motor.target in the code
motor.move(target_angle);

// function intended to be used with serial plotter to monitor motor variables
// significantly slowing the execution down!!!
// motor.monitor();

// user communication
command.run();
}

Yes, and if open loop is running, then it confirms you’ve got the pins right.

This the next example to focus on. But before running it, you should connect up the sensor, and run our sensor test examples, make sure your sensor is working as expected. Basically, it should return an angle of ±6.28 (radians) when you turn the motor by one full turn by hand.

Once it is confirmed the sensor is working well, then you can run the closed loop torque-voltage test. It should run well if the sensor is working well and open loop is working well.
If not, it might mean the pole pairs are wrong (is it 8PP or 8 poles and therefore 4PP). Or maybe the voltage limits are too high, or too low and the motor is not moving well.

Once closed loop torque voltage is working well, the next to try is velocity, which requires tuning the PIDs, and then angle. Closed loop foc_current control is the most complicated mode, which also needs current sensing to work well, so I’d try that only when the rest is working.

The UNO has very limited resources as you’ve found out, so this is also an added difficulty. You might need to “reduce” some of the examples to get them to fit.