Progress on really quiet sensorless drive with simplefoc an b-g431-esc1 board - too noisy :(

This system is a crude open loop drive system with some acceleration and voltage ramping provisions to prevent stall and drive the motor in a range where it won’t overheat, just for testing to determine if the observer is working/to get it working.

The observer takes the voltages and currents and if run often enough is supposed to track/calculate eta[0] and eta[1]. Atan of these vectors is supposed to give the rotor position, within a cycle of commutation i.e. 1/7 of a rotation for a 7 pole pair motor, supposedly.

It does not quite work, it should ramp up linearly with time and then repeat, if the motor is turning smoothly and constantly. however it is more of an S shape, it’s distorted for some reason. I think this is probably because the observer does not factor in saliency, which is the variation of inductance of the coils as a function of rotor position. The salience of the motor is also why, according to tech support, the Texas instruments 8316A driver is incapable of driving this motor. It has bad acceleration anyway, though.

The relative position of the rotor and the magnetic field produced by the coils is supposed to be the motor timing. We assume the current waveform is in phase with the magnetic field, basically. So we need to know the relative position of the two waveforms, as a function of total wave period/wavelength.

The conventional approach is to use atan on eta[0] and eta[1], which represent the fluxes between 2 of the phases, and also a clarke tranform on the current waveform from the current flowing through the terminals. Take the difference, that’s your motor timing. Use a PI control loop to regulate something, in this case I was planning on regulating voltage, actually, not speed, to keep motor timing in a good range. Obviously field oriented control is supposed to imply that this motor timing will be regulate to essentially 90 degrees, the optimal point for best torque and efficiency, but in reality I have found that that is not very common esp in sensorless drivers because there is too much noise and the system would be too prone to stalling if you did that. Once a sensorless system stalls you’d need some fancy thing like High frequency injection or something to get out of the stall, so motor timing usually just has some padding in there to keep things on the other side of the optimal point, at the cost of efficiency.

The code below gives the pd_mcs_float figure, which is supposed to reflect the time between the zero crossing points of the current waveform and the flux observer waveform. Dividing by total waveform period time should give a useful motor timing proxy to regulate. It runs at 15 kHz.

But it’s too noisy even after considerably filtering. I don’t really know why. Debugging is very hard because it moves pretty fast.

If I run the fan and turn the voltage on the power supply down, the figure goes up, which is what you would expect if it reflected the motor timing, because lower drive voltage. I can also look at the timestamps and they are happening essentially correctly. The number of microseconds is also too small, it should be larger at the point of stalling than it is.

I think the current is probably too noisy for this approach :(. I may have to wait till I can get the qvadrans and it’s better inline current sensing.

I’m interested in paying someone a bit if they may be able to help get this working…

#include <SimpleFOC.h>
#include <math.h>

// NUMBER OF POLE PAIRS, NOT POLES, specific to the motor being used!
//#define POLEPAIRS 7
BLDCMotor motor = BLDCMotor(7); 
//this line must be changed for each board
BLDCDriver6PWM driver = BLDCDriver6PWM(A_PHASE_UH, A_PHASE_UL, A_PHASE_VH, A_PHASE_VL, A_PHASE_WH, A_PHASE_WL);
LowsideCurrentSense currentSense = LowsideCurrentSense(0.003, -64.0/7.0, A_OP1_OUT, A_OP2_OUT, A_OP3_OUT);
LowPassFilter diff_filter = LowPassFilter(0.05);
LowPassFilter pd_filter = LowPassFilter(0.05);
PhaseCurrent_s current1 = currentSense.getPhaseCurrents();
float goal_speed =0;
float v=2;
float v_diff=1;
float accel = 92;// in rads per second per second
float v_per_radsPS = 0.0232;
float accel_v_boost = 0.5;// voltage is increased during acceleration and deacceleration by this amount
bool voltage_override = 1;
float power_figure = 1.5;
float power_coeff = 0.00043;// the serial communicator could actually use an extra digit for this one.
float A, B, C;
float currentlf_now =0;
float prop_V= 0;
float min_V = 1;
float v_limit = 19;
float current_limit_slope = 1.8;// this is in milliamps pre rad per second
float current_limit_o_term = 200;//this is the current limit at zero rps, it may not trip with stall 
float maybe_o = 1;
float Va = 0;
float Vb = 0;
float motortiming = 0;
float pd_s =0;
float pd_mcs_float = 0;
unsigned long int mcs_phase_diff = 0;
float W = 0;
float Q = 0;
float E = 0;
float R = 0;
float T = 0;
unsigned long int pd_mcs = 0;
float period_time = 0;
float c_zero_crossing_ts_mcs = 0;
float e_zero_crossing_ts_mcs = 0;
unsigned long int current_ts_fe;
unsigned long int last_ts_fe;
  unsigned long int c_ts = 0;
  unsigned long int e_ts = 0;
float get_mA(){// this is the estimated current being drawn from the power supply, not the actual motor current which is a bit different
   float x =0;
   x = currentlf_now*motor.voltage_limit/24;
   return  1000*((4.0384440932900223e-002)+3.4514090071108776e-002*x*30);// this is off by like 12 percent in some cases a polynomial of third order fits the data better but might flake out at higher than 500 mA so I didn't try it.
}
void SerialComm(){ 
  if (Serial.available() > 0){
  switch(Serial.peek()){
      case 't': Serial.read(); Serial.print("t"); Serial.println(goal_speed); break;
      case 'c': Serial.read(); Serial.print("c"); Serial.println(accel); break;
      case 'v': Serial.read(); Serial.print("v"); Serial.println(motor.voltage_limit, 4); break;
      case 'n': Serial.read(); Serial.print("n"); Serial.println(v_diff); break;
      case 'p': Serial.read(); Serial.print("p"); Serial.println(v_per_radsPS, 4); break;
      case 'b': Serial.read(); Serial.print("b"); Serial.println(accel_v_boost); break;
      case 'o': Serial.read(); Serial.print("o"); Serial.println(voltage_override); break;
      case 's': Serial.read(); Serial.print("s"); Serial.println(motor.target); break;
      case 'f': Serial.read(); Serial.print("f"); Serial.println(power_coeff, 6); break;
      case 'g': Serial.read(); Serial.print("g"); Serial.println(currentSense.getDCCurrent(), 5); break;
      case 'i': Serial.read(); Serial.print("i"); Serial.println(get_mA(), 4); break;
      case 'j': Serial.read(); Serial.print("j"); Serial.println(min_V); break;
      case 'w': Serial.read(); Serial.print("w"); Serial.println(driver.voltage_power_supply); break;
      case 'k': Serial.read(); Serial.print("k"); Serial.println(v_limit); break;
      case 'y': Serial.read(); Serial.print("y"); Serial.println(current_limit_slope); break;
      case 'u': Serial.read(); Serial.print("u"); Serial.println(current_limit_o_term); break;
      case 'e': Serial.read(); Serial.print("e"); if (motor.shaft_angle >= 0){
           Serial.println(motor.shaft_angle, 3);
           }
           if (motor.shaft_angle < 0){
           Serial.println((_2PI-(-1*motor.shaft_angle)), 3);
           }
           break;
  case 'T': break;
  case 'C': break;
  case 'V':  break;
  case 'P':  break;
  case 'B':  break;
  case 'Y':  break;
  case 'U':  break;
  case 'O': break;
  case 'F':  break;
  case 'J':  break;
  case 'W': ;break;
  case 'K': ;break;
  default: Serial.read(); break; //if anything we don't recognize got in the buffer, clear it out or it will mess things up.

}
}
  if (Serial.available() >= 9){
  switch(Serial.read())
  { 

case 'T': goal_speed = Serial.parseFloat();break;
  case 'C': accel = Serial.parseFloat();break;
  case 'V': v_diff = Serial.parseFloat(); break;
  case 'P': v_per_radsPS = Serial.parseFloat(); break;
  case 'K': v_limit = Serial.parseFloat(); break;
  case 'B': accel_v_boost = Serial.parseFloat(); break;
  case 'Y': current_limit_slope = Serial.parseFloat(); break;
  case 'U': current_limit_o_term = Serial.parseFloat(); break;
  case 'O': 
    maybe_o = Serial.parseFloat(); // just in case the wrong data gets in somehow we don't want the voltage going crazy
    if (maybe_o < 1){
      voltage_override = 0;
      } 
    if (maybe_o >= 0.999){ 
      voltage_override = 1;
    }
    break;// if it's not one of these, ignore it.
  case 'F': power_coeff = Serial.parseFloat();break;

}
  }
}
void overcurrent_trip(){// if it stalls this won't help except at higher powers, probably. Just helps prevent disaster
  float current_cap = current_limit_o_term + fabs(motor.target)*current_limit_slope;
  if (get_mA() > current_cap){
    voltage_override = 0;
  }
}

float track_average_c(float val){
 #define NUM_SAMPLES 6
 static float samples[NUM_SAMPLES];
 static int sample_index = 0;

samples[sample_index] = val;
  sample_index++;
  if (sample_index >= NUM_SAMPLES) {
    sample_index = 0;
  }
  float sum = 0;
  for (int i = 0; i < NUM_SAMPLES; i++) {
    sum += samples[i];
  }
  float average = sum / NUM_SAMPLES;

return average;
}
float track_average_mt(float val){
 #define NUM_SAMPLES 10
 static float samples[NUM_SAMPLES];
 static int sample_index = 0;

samples[sample_index] = val;
  sample_index++;
  if (sample_index >= NUM_SAMPLES) {
    sample_index = 0;
  }
  float sum = 0;
  for (int i = 0; i < NUM_SAMPLES; i++) {
    sum += samples[i];
  }
  float average = sum / NUM_SAMPLES;

return average;
}
float zero_cross_detection(float val){ //this is for the current, what is val in? amps?  seems to be some other measure, should be calibrated and zeroed to be amps but no time now
  static int state = 0;
  static float output = 3;
  static float sample_state1 = 0;
  static unsigned long int ts_state1 = 0;
  static float sample_state2 = 0;
  static unsigned long int ts_state2 = 0;
  float slope_at_zero = 0;
//the levels have to be in the right places, if the threshold for state 1 is too clos eto state 0 then it may flip on the upwards due to noise, if the threshold of state 1 is lower than 0 one of course it would flip immediately
  if (state == 0){
    if (val > 0.12){
        state = 1;
      }
    }

if (state == 1){
    if (val < 0.1){//if it's in state 1 and bets below
        sample_state1 = val;
        ts_state1 = micros();
        state = 2;
      }

}

if (state ==2){
    if (val < -0.1){
      sample_state2 = val;
      ts_state2 = micros();
      slope_at_zero = (sample_state2-sample_state1)/float(ticks_diff(ts_state2,ts_state1));
      c_zero_crossing_ts_mcs = float(ts_state1)-(sample_state1/slope_at_zero); 
      pd_mcs_float = c_zero_crossing_ts_mcs-e_zero_crossing_ts_mcs;
      state = 0;
      return 1;//triggered!
    }
  }
 return 0;
}
float zero_cross_detection2(float val){ //this one is for eta*100 (*100 to bring it into a visible range on the debugger) it goes from zero to 0.2 for this motor.
  static int state = 0;
  static float output = 3;
  static float sample_state1 = 0;
  static unsigned long int ts_state1 = 0;
  static float sample_state2 = 0;
  static unsigned long int ts_state2 = 0;
  float slope_at_zero = 0;

if (state == 0){
    if (val > 0.12){
        state = 1;
      }
    }

if (state == 1){
    if (val < 0.05){//if it's in state 1 and crosses down
        sample_state1 = val;
        ts_state1 = micros();
        state = 2;
      }

}

if (state == 2){
    if (val < -0.05){
      sample_state2 = val;
      ts_state2 = micros();
      slope_at_zero = (sample_state2-sample_state1)/float(ticks_diff(ts_state2,ts_state1));
      e_zero_crossing_ts_mcs = float(ts_state1)-(sample_state1/slope_at_zero); 
      state = 0;
      return 1;//triggered!
    }
  }
 return 0;
}

float track_return_eta0(float v_pA, float v_pB, float current_A, float current_B, float current_C, int outputorno) {
    // Algorithm based on paper: Sensorless Control of Surface-Mount Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Motors Based on a Nonlinear Observer
    // http://cas.ensmp.fr/~praly/Telechargement/Journaux/2010-IEEE_TPEL-Lee-Hong-Nam-Ortega-Praly-Astolfi.pdf
    // In particular, equation 8 (and by extension eqn 4 and 6).
    // The V_alpha_beta applied immedietly prior to the current measurement associated with this cycle
    // is the one computed two cycles ago. To get the correct measurement, it was stored twice:
    // once by final_v_alpha/final_v_beta in the current control reporting, and once by V_alpha_beta_memory.
    // don't engage the system by calling this function until a suitable RPM is achieved or yu will just get nonsense results
    //the basis of the code here is just dumbly adapted from the odrive implementation, with the removal of unnecessary features like the pll for speed tracking.
    static float V_alpha_beta_memory_[] = {0.0f,0.0f};
    static float I_last_alpha_beta[] = {0.0f,0.0f};
    static float last_etas[]= {0.0f,0.0f};
    static float flux_state_[] = {0.0f,0.0f};
    static float last_v_alpha = 0.0f;
    static float last_v_beta = 0.0f;
    static float last_phase = 0.0f;
    static float observer_gain = 750.0f; //1500 seems to be about right, 3000 is too high? not clear actually. phase becomes nan somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000 could still be way too low. IDK what a reasonable starting point is, 1000 is what odrive uses. They use 2500 and 8000 in the pdf doc.  Too high and it will bounce around, too low and it will take a long time to catch up with changes.
    static float O_phase_resistance = 2.9f;// in ohms *presumably, terminal to terminal divided by two: 2.9
    static float O_phase_inductance = 0.0006455f;  //0.001291 old, actual terminal to terminal measurement divided by two: 0.0006455 in henries *presumably
    static float O_flux_linkage = 0.0017f;// 0.0017 seems about right when resistance is 2.9 and inductance is 0.0006455, gives the smoothest line it's in units of webers *presumably, I measured it across the terminals and calculated it with the python program. let's try half what it was (was 0.00931).:

static unsigned long last_run_ts = micros();
    unsigned long mcs_since_last_run = ticks_diff(micros(),last_run_ts) ;
    float s_since_last_run = float(mcs_since_last_run)/1000000.0f ;
    float current_meas_period = s_since_last_run ;
    static float one_by_sqrt3 = 0.5773502691f;
    if ((current_meas_period * 1000 > 1.0f)) { // what should the coefficient be here? Just run it really fast for now. you can't because you have to be able to debug it.  well ten times per oscillation should be fine, 60 rads per second test speed is 67 hz.  so at least every 1/670 seconds
      flux_state_[0] = 0.0f;
      flux_state_[1] = 0.0f;
      V_alpha_beta_memory_[0] = 0.0f;
      V_alpha_beta_memory_[1] = 0.0f;
     Serial.print("cmp too long:");
     Serial.println(current_meas_period*1000000);
     last_run_ts = micros();
      return false;
    }
            if (get_mA()<40){ //assume measurement is invalid
      current_A = 0.0f;
      current_B = 0.0f;
      flux_state_[0] = 0.0f;
      flux_state_[1] = 0.0f;
      V_alpha_beta_memory_[0] = 0.0f;
      V_alpha_beta_memory_[1] = 0.0f;
     //Serial.print("current too low:");
     //Serial.println(get_mA());
     last_run_ts = micros();
      return false;
        }
    float I_alpha_beta[2] = {current_A, one_by_sqrt3 * (current_B -current_C)};

// alpha-beta vector operations
    float eta[2] = {0.0f,0.0f};

for (int i = 0; i <= 1; ++i) {
        // y is the total flux-driving voltage (see paper eqn 4)
        float y = -O_phase_resistance * I_alpha_beta[i] + V_alpha_beta_memory_[i];
        // flux dynamics (prediction)
        float x_dot = y;
        // integrate prediction to current timestep
        flux_state_[i] += x_dot * current_meas_period;
        // eta is the estimated permanent magnet flux (see paper eqn 6)
        eta[i] = flux_state_[i] - O_phase_inductance * I_alpha_beta[i];
        }

// Non-linear observer (see paper eqn 8):
    float pm_flux_sqr = O_flux_linkage * O_flux_linkage;

float est_pm_flux_sqr = (eta[0] * eta[0]) + (eta[1] * eta[1]);
    float bandwidth_factor = 1 / pm_flux_sqr;
    float eta_factor = 0.5f * (observer_gain * bandwidth_factor) * (pm_flux_sqr - est_pm_flux_sqr);

// alpha-beta vector operations
    for (int i = 0; i <= 1; ++i) {
        // add observer action to flux estimate dynamics
        float x_dot = eta_factor * eta[i];
        // convert action to discrete-time
        flux_state_[i] += x_dot * current_meas_period;
        // update new eta
        eta[i] = flux_state_[i] - O_phase_inductance * I_alpha_beta[i];
    }
    // Flux state estimation done, store V_alpha_beta for next timestep
    V_alpha_beta_memory_[0] = last_v_alpha; // still have to figure out exactly what voltage this is so we can sub in the right one
    V_alpha_beta_memory_[1] = last_v_beta; // same here
    last_v_alpha = v_pA;
    last_v_beta = v_pB;
    last_run_ts = micros();
    last_etas[0] = eta[0];
    last_etas[1] = eta[1];
    I_last_alpha_beta[0] = I_alpha_beta[0];
    I_last_alpha_beta[1] = I_alpha_beta[1];
    float phase = atan2(eta[1], eta[0]); // do we have fast_atan available? no
    last_phase = phase;
    //test_variable = phase;
    float stator_field_angle = atan2(I_alpha_beta[0],I_alpha_beta[1]); // these might be the wrong way around fuck. This is the most likely.
    //float motor_timing = handle_wraparound_angle(phase, stator_field_angle, return_sign(motor.target));

//if (outputorno == 0){
      return eta[0]; 
    //}
};
//
//float handle_wraparound_angle(float angle_behind, float angle_ahead, int dir){
//    static float piepie = 6.2831853f;
//    if (dir == 1){  //clockwise drive
//      if (angle_behind < angle_ahead){ // they are in the same cycle
//        return (angle_ahead-angle_behind);
//      }
//      if (angle_behind > angle_ahead){ // the angle_ahead has gone past the end and wrapped around
//        return (piepie-(angle_behind-angle_ahead));
//      }
//    }
//      if (dir == 0){  //counter-clockwise drive
//      if (angle_behind > angle_ahead){ // they are in the same cycle
//        return (angle_ahead-angle_behind);
//        }
//      if (angle_behind < angle_ahead){ // the angle_ahead has gone past the end and wrapped around
//        return ((-1*piepie)-(angle_behind-angle_ahead));
//        }
//      }
//}
unsigned long int ticks_diff(unsigned long int t2,unsigned long int t1){ //t2 should be after t1, this is for calculating clock times.
  if (t2<t1){//t2 must have wrapped around after t1 was taken
     return (4294967295-(t1-t2));
  }
     return (t2-t1);
} 

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(1000000);
  Serial.println("test serial2");
  // power supply voltage [V]
  driver.voltage_power_supply = 24;
  driver.init();
  // link the motor and the driver
  motor.linkDriver(&driver);
  currentSense.linkDriver(&driver);
  currentSense.init();
  currentSense.skip_align = true;
  FOCModulationType::SinePWM;
  motor.voltage_limit = 1;   // [V]
  motor.velocity_limit = 300; // [rad/s]
  motor.controller = MotionControlType::velocity_openloop;
  motor.init();
  motor.voltage_limit = 2;
  goal_speed = 2;
}

float run_observer(){
     current1 = currentSense.getPhaseCurrents();
     A = current1.a;
     B = current1.b;
     C = current1.c;
     Va = driver.dc_a * driver.voltage_power_supply-(driver.voltage_power_supply/2);
     Vb = driver.dc_b * driver.voltage_power_supply-(driver.voltage_power_supply/2);

Q = track_average_c(A);
     W = track_return_eta0(Va, Vb, A, B, C, 0)*100;
     E = zero_cross_detection(Q);
     R = zero_cross_detection2(W);
     if (E == 1){ //current has crossed zero, falling.
      c_ts = micros();
     }
      if (R == 1){ //eta has crossed zero, falling.
      e_ts = micros();
     }
     return W;
}

int return_sign(float number){
  if (number > 0){
    return 1;
  }
  if (number <= 0){
    return 0;
  }
}
void loop() {
for (int i=0;i<5;i++){
     static unsigned long int loop_clock_in = micros();
     unsigned long int loop_time = 0;
     float loop_time_s = 0;     
     loop_time = ticks_diff(micros(), loop_clock_in);
     loop_clock_in=micros();
     loop_time_s = float(loop_time)/1000000;
     if (motor.target < goal_speed-(accel*loop_time_s*1.5)){//rps not positive enough
           if (motor.target < 0){//counterclockwise rotation, deaccelerating
      motor.target = motor.target+accel*loop_time_s*0.7;
      prop_V = (v_diff+accel_v_boost+fabs((motor.target*v_per_radsPS)));
     }

if (motor.target >= 0){ //clockwise rotation, accelerating
      motor.target = motor.target+accel*loop_time_s;
     }
     }

if (motor.target>=goal_speed-(accel*loop_time_s*1.5)){//steady run phase
      if (motor.target<=goal_speed+(accel*loop_time_s*1.5)){ 
      prop_V = (v_diff+fabs((motor.target*v_per_radsPS))); //constant run
      }
     }

if (motor.target > goal_speed + (accel*loop_time_s*1.5)){ //rps too positive, the (accel*loop_time_s etc stuff is to give a hysterises
           if (motor.target > 0){ //clockwise rotation, deaccelerating
            motor.target = motor.target-accel*loop_time_s*0.7; 
     } 
          if (motor.target <= 0){
      motor.target = motor.target-accel*loop_time_s; //counterclockwise rotation, accelerating
     }

}
     if (prop_V < min_V){
      motor.voltage_limit = min_V*voltage_override;
     }
     else {
      motor.voltage_limit = prop_V;
     }
          if (prop_V > v_limit){
      motor.voltage_limit = v_limit;
     }
     motor.move();
     run_observer();

}
     SerialComm();
    // run_observer_with_output();
    //Serial.print("c:");
    //Serial.println(test_variable2);
   // Serial.print("c:");
    //Serial.println(track_average(Q));

// Serial.print(" ,t:");
//    if (current_ts_fe > 1){
//      Serial.println("3");
//    }
//    if (current_ts_fe <1 ){
//      Serial.println("0");
//    }
    //Serial.println(current_ts_fe);
     //period_time = 1/((motor.target*7)/6.2831853);

//pd_s = pd_mcs_float/1000000;//need a ticks diff for floats or this will ahve a problem when ticking over if it ever did might be impractically long but not good practice
     if (pd_mcs_float<1000){
            motortiming = pd_filter(pd_mcs_float);
     }

//T = motortiming*100;
     currentlf_now = currentSense.getDCCurrent();
     currentlf_now = diff_filter(currentlf_now);// this updates the current for the get dc current, that function won't work unless this is called each loop
     overcurrent_trip();
}

There is a lot of short term noise, but the observer phase also drifts around on the several seconds time scale. I think it’s probably because when it gets run it lands sometimes on different rotor positions. A sort of beat frequency develops. In the end, it’s too crude. The odrive also could not drive this motor though, apparently. The observer can’t handle salience not even a little bit. I was hoping the waveform may be distorted but it would still be in phase. Looks like the phase drifts around too…

I may have asked this in the past and forgot the answer, but what kind of motor and fan is it that you’re using?

1 Like

It’s the jdpower 3151C motor, 35 mm diameter, 15 mm stator. 200kv, I think.

The fan looks like this:

It’s got to be extremely quiet, that’s the hard part. I’ve tried 12 different off the shelf motor drivers, they weren’t up to the job. Quiet stuff is rare. It also has to have good acceleration. The Texas instruments 8316A was the closest I got, but it really wasn’t able to reliably start the motor and acceleration was very poor.

I ordered some very similar motors which have hall sensors. The plan is to use them with the qvadrans, I have to spruce up the files for the qvadrans though before I can order (just a few minor issues).

If that doesn’t work out - if they are too coggy - then I’ll try to bake a neural network based system that uses current and voltage and slope of current/voltage to optimize the drive. I think this would actually be the most energy efficient and is a good trick, but it only really works for fans or something else that doesn’t change load very fast. Basically I would make an apparatus with a brake (probably just another motor with some mosfets to short the phases with a pwm signal). Then run the motor open loop, and have an algorithm adjust the voltage to search for the lowest current point. It records a ton of data so it can always know from the 4 data points - rpm, voltage, current (total DC current), and the current/voltage slope (the current goes back up on the wrong side of the optimal point, which is definitely not where we want to be) what the optimal drive voltage is. Then I just up that a little bit for safety against stall, and that’s the drive voltage. Probably jump it up even further during acceleration, too. I don’t think the system even needs a PID anywhere. Because the system is highly predictable, real time optimization/searching is not needed. Just learn it, and play it back.

neural nets tend to be a bit slow, however if I use scikit-learn and convert the model to native C code using m2gen, then intersperse motor.move commands in the code, the waveform can continue more or less uninterrupted during the 100 msec or whatever it takes to do execute the neural network function. Honestly many times I’ve wished for a second core and this is one source of temptation to use the RP2040 but I asked on the forums and it doesn’t sound like they have ti working smoothly yet, I’ve had a lot of problems with crashes and stuff in the past trying to us both cores and I can’t have this thing crashing.

Another option is to search the peer reviewed literature for an observer that can handle saliency, however I need actual code. It would have been practically impossible to write code from that paper that describes this observer. IMO code is better to understand exactly the flow of operation anyway, such papers should always come with pseudocode at least.

1 Like

Have you tried MCSDK? How was the performance with sensorless, or did it not work?

1 Like

I tried many times in many ways to get that hairball working, but could never get everything working at once. I got it to measure the motor parameters, but never was able to get it to actually drive the motor, never mind evaluate how much noise it makes. unfortunately although you can see the code it appeared iirc to be bizarre machine generated C code which was practically impossible to understand, and because it i snot likely to be quiet right off the bat, I would have to modify it, and that did not seem likely to be possible.

However your are right is probably has what I need deep down in there somewhere, it is just such a black box/hairball it doesn’t seem very practical to even try to get that working any more, I did try for several days and how long you going to give it…

At this point I’d probably recommend sticking to the MCF8316A, and try to set different startup modes until you can get it to start reliably. Most reliable ones are Double Align and Slow First Cycle. You can also try decreasing the acceleration during open loop to increase startup reliability.

1 Like

Oh no, I tried all that already. I bought the eval board, consulted with texas instruments by video call twice for like 2 hours. The conclusion was that it’s not capable of driving this motor, unfortunately. Also the PID doesn’t tune right, it is always very sluggish. That thing needs work unfortunately. If they had just made it fully programmable then I’m sure I could find a way forward with it, it has the hardware. But no. It’s all black box, locked down, and not done. If it’s going to be a black box, it’s gotta work. But they don’t finish the job…

This is the umpteeth reason we need a good finished fully programmable device.

@Anthony_Douglas

How do you measure “quiet”, what db sound level meter you use? Any metrics?

Cheers,
Valentine

1 Like

Completely inaudible to a human in an environment of about 35 dBa background noise. This implies less than 20 dBa or so sound emissions at 1 meter distance. The drive of the motor can be, and should be, this quiet. I have a class 2 sound meter I use. I have it on my list of things to do to get a calibrated one.

This is hard, in fact I discovered issues with the stock simpleFOC library just in open loop, there was a once per rotation click that occured and I had to get in there and figure out why and solve it, or mostly anyway. It appeared to be something to do with the wrapping around with a certain figure, I forget the exact details. Ultimately, the sine wave glitched out once per rotation, and I had no problem hearing that.

Any kind of glitch longer than about 50 microseconds, if it occurs regularly, is too much, I think that was the figure I arrived at. I forget exactly.

The mcf MCF8316A was actually this quiet, but the other issues were killer :(.

I’ve always had problems with “baked-in” solutions, they are tailored to very narrow use cases.

Anyways, this is a long journey, it seems.

Your real problem is not the driver but the motor. You need low / no cogging motor, else no matter what driver you use you always hit the basic physics limitation. That’s my personal opinion of course.

Cheers,
Valentine

1 Like

What I wonder is whether 3000RPM = 50Hz x 20 fan blades = 1kHz doesn’t result in noise at that frequency (eg RPM/3) no matter what driver and motor you use, just because the fan, by nature, moves air, and air, by nature, transports sound?

You could check using a cell phone app frequency meter - if your noise is at RPM / 3 or RPM / 60 Hz, I think it’s down to the fan and what you do with the driver won’t matter…

The same trick should let you find out if the noise is due to motor cogging… in this case the frequency should depend on the RPM and the motor poles and slots…

2 Likes

I was thinking the same, perhaps the fan blades make the sound.

Valentine

Could also run the motor at speed with no blades. Even good quality rolling element bearings make some audible noise at speed.

Hi guys, sorry I left you hanging, been a busy time for me.

I have investigated: the noise is a whooshy sound only, it is caused by turbulent airflow. If the “spokes” i.e. the support elements which hold the motor to the frame are too close to the blades then yes you get a buzzing noise and Runger describes, a function of rpm and number of blades, however if everything is kept away from the blades you are ok.

The motor is nearly silent, I have a low cogging motor, that was hard to get and I thought I may need to bake anti cogging. Anti cogging may still be in my future as it may be impossible to get the motor inthe future or something, you never know.

re rolling element noise, there is a rating system for bearing noise, it goes Z1… Z4. Z4 is the best. Z3 is enough though, you really can’t hear it at all. I can have the fan on my desk turning at 10 rads/sec and you literally cannot tell it’s on without looking at it. As it goes faster the whoosh of the blades becomes audible.

It’s really hard building quiet stuff, all the points raised are valid and I’ve been through them and much more besides, addressing them each one by one as well as I can. I’ve tested many fans and motors and drivers, very many. It’s a drag in some ways but noise is a form of pollution which is known to be quite destructive and it is very hard to stop once it has been produced. For the machines I am making, noise is a major determing factor in if they are actually viable. I talked to the Passive Haus institute about these types of machines and they said they don’t consider them useful because they are too loud at useful flow rates. My machine is going to be the only one in the world that meets their criteria for noise flow and efficiency. Almost all I have been doing is making the system quiet, which extends well outside the fan. You can make the flow high and efficiency good with brute force, but noise is a very very different matter.

Excellent! I totally agree on noise pollution being a big problem (as is light pollution, although that’s different since it’s done intentionally, whereas noise production is usually unintentional).

If you’re 3D printing the motor mount, you could try using a streamline profile for the supports to reduce turbulence. Here’s a great old video series about aerodynamics with wind tunnel visualizations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1oCDR3DBbo
23 minutes shows a round section, although the airstream from a fan will be messy to begin with, which may actually reduce the intensity of the vortices it forms.

1 Like

Cheers,
Valentine

1 Like