ESP32 Brushless controller - Dagor

I would be up for one. Off to fill out that form shortly

1 Like

Awesome work !
I am very interested to see how you’ll handle the phases current reading. Do you intend to use a current control loop with park transformation ?
I would like to control a much bigger motor (up to 84V / more than 100A phase), but it’s a very good work already. I intend to use shunts, direct 6 PWM control and hall sensors to achieve a torque control board. It’s for an electric scooter. But I’ll post more about it :wink:

by the way, the ESP32 has very poor ADC (bad linearity and dead zones). I hope it will be enought to use in the control loop.

Hey @Francois_DESLANDES,

I haven’t decide how I will approach the current sensing just yet. I haven’t had time to experiment. I’ll post when I do :slight_smile:.

You’re correct with the ESP32’s ADC. This might or might not be an issue, it all depends on what I need/ want; even if the reading are not linear it might not be a big issue. I would have to do real tests and see if it affects the desired response or not.

ADC readings are slow, one solution we found for this is to take one current reading per PWM interrupt trigger. So if my PWM frequency is 20kHz, the current readings for each phase are at a 6.666kHz rate.

for linearity, yes, and there is few tricks to calibrate it.
for speed, i’ll check if it can be improved.
and for current reading, i hope you’re good with mathematics :sweat_smile: (i am not … lol)

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: ESP32 + Xiaomi M365 controller + moteur with hall sensors

You might want to look at DRV8353 drivers for that. 100V tolerance and it has a version with integrated current sense amps. It’s good for servo applications and might work well for you as well.

I’ve been working hard for the Alpha release of the board :slight_smile:
We’ll have the sale up and running this month!

3 Likes

@David_Gonzalez There is another design similar to this one linked below. What are the differences between both designs?

Thanks.

Hey @happytm,

What you linked is my friend’s @Gouldpa board. Our boards are very similar, but with a few key differences. Paul’s board uses CAN, has an onboard USB connector, has the magnetic encoder on the same side as the rest of the components and is bigger.

For my board I tried to make everything as small as possible and compact as possible, you can talk to the board only with ESP-NOW and UART, it has bigger sense resistors, and it was specifically designed to run with SimpleFOC. :slight_smile:

@David_Gonzalez Thank you for your quick reply. ESP-NOW, SimpleFOC support and encoder on the bottom is definitely useful improvements.

Thanks.

I wouldn’t say improvements. They’re just different with different purposes and applications :slight_smile:

Understood.
I will be looking for the progress you make.
Good luck.

Thanks.

1 Like

Is it possible to hook it up on SPI? If youd want to use an external ethercat controller that talks SPI, for example.

The board is a master SPI for talking to the DRV8305 and magnetic encoder.

You could potentially have a slave device that answers with an instruction when asked.

Is the spi bus exposed in headers somewhere or does it need jumper wires soldered? LAN9252 is an spi slave device.

:wink:

1 Like
4 Likes

We can see that YOU have the boards. But are when are WE going to get the boards :wink: